Does anyone know Jane Maynard of Grahamstown?
This is a story from the 1880’s: it began when I bought the reference book of John William Maynard.
He had signed up to join the British army in Chatham in Kent and went on to serve around the world, He finally was sent to Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape, where he seems to have met Jane, whom he married in January 1898 in Aldershot on his return to England.
Thanks to Lynn MacCloed for sharing this information about John.
He was registered in the church of St Mary Magdalene, as having been born on 09 Nov 1868. His mother was Margaret and his father, John, was a Cabinet Maker. They lived at 14 Warwick Street, Woolwich.
It is possible that John was the grandson of George Maynard, an Engineer with the Royal Navy, who died on 17 October 1853, and is buried in Woolwich churchyard.
We know more about Warwick Street from this survey from the The Bartlett School of Planning.
This states that: ” Warwick Street (given the preface Lord in 1939) was the first street to be laid out in Church Street’s hinterland, an early fruit of John Bowater’s building-lease Act of 1779. It was divided into parcels for speculative developers, who probably emanated from the dockyard’s workforce, and 61-year leases were granted; the freeholds fragmented in 1812.
The street’s western end was built up in the late 1780s with opposed rows, each of about twenty brick-built four-room houses, and the rest, about another thirty houses, followed, mostly in the 1790s.
From the outset there was an Earl of Warwick public house on the north side, and the street’s name may derive from the hostelry. It is an intriguing name in Woolwich, possibly, given the radicalism of dockyard artisans in the later decades of the eighteenth century, a commemoration of Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick, the naval commander, parliamentarian and staunch ally of Cromwell’s. The Powerful and the Yorkshire Grey were other public houses, both at the street’s west end.
Much of the north side of Warwick Street was rebuilt in the 1880s. A greensward on the south side that now opens through to Lamport Close marks the site of Paradise Place, a wide court of 1799–1807 that benefited from open ground beyond.”
Does anyone have any additional information about them?
Many thanks Martin.
John William Maynard, 1st Royal Berks
Cover: No: 1222
Page 3: Married, 3 January 1898 in Aldershot, England to Jane
Page 4: Enlisted 12 November 1884 at Chatham in Kent for 12 years, at the age of just 14 years, 2 months: so he was born in October 1870.
John was an agricultural labourer, born in Woolwich in Kent and was 4 foot 8 inches high when he enlisted, with a fresh complexion, hazel eyes and brown hair, with a small scar on his forehead. Like most young men he was Church of England.
Page 5. He served in Chatham, Athlone and Cyprus, before returning to England and then being transferred to Malta, Bermuda, Halifax and finally to south Africa. He served in South Africa from 12 December 1892 – 14 March 1898. He left South Africa a year before the outbreak of the Boer war, 11 October 1899.
Page 6. His wife, Jane Maynard, lived in Grahamstown, South Africa. The last date in the document seems to be 28 January 1899, when the information was verified by Captain Finch.
MAYNARD John William Farnham 2a 123
Pidgeon Jane Farnham 2a 123
Could it be?
Rhode Island Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950
Name: Jennie Maynard
Death Date: 11 Feb 1937
Death Place: Cranston, Rhode Island
Birth Date: 1874 (Devonshire England)
Marital Status: Married
Spouse’s Name: John William Maynard
Father’s Name: Thomas Pidgeon
Daughter’s wedding ?
Death and wedding linked by informant “Mrs Charles Jones”.
“to brother in law Mr Pidgeon”
John William Maynard 1870 Service number 1222 !