Now this was the way to do it! When Lord Loch left, he was seen off by the good and the great.
So who was Lord Loch?
This is from his entry in Wikipedia.
During the First World War, he initially continued to serve in staff positions, but commanded a brigade later in the war before returning to the staff. He received further decorations, both British and foreign.
After his retirement from the army in 1922, he became Deputy Lieutenant of Suffolk and undertook various other public and charitable duties. He was also Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard and chairman of the Greyhound Racing Association.
So why the wonderful sendoff?
Well, he was clearly an important part of the imperial system. Indeed, he was so important that his departure was photographed by H. E. Fripp, who had worked in Worcester in 1888 from a studio in Adderley Street, Cape Town from 1889-97 and then in Beaufort West 1890-91.
He was the son of Henry Loch, 1st Baron Loch.
Henry Loch had raised ‘Loch’s Horse’ in February 1900. The nominal roll says it was raised on 16 Mar 00. It might be said that having been largely recruited in England it was not a Colonial force, but in the official army lists Loch’s Horse was always included among the South African Irregulars.
After the occupation of Bloemfontein Loch’s Horse, strength about 220, was stationed in the line of outposts beyond Glen Siding. They shared in the advance from Bloemfontein to the Transvaal as part of the 8th Corps of Mounted Infantry commanded by Colonel Ross of the Durham Light Infantry, the Brigadier being Colonel Henry. The 8th Corps were part of the advance guard or screen to the centre of Lord Roberts’ army, and had a lot of scouting and skirmishing in the northward march. Colonel Henry’s men, including the 1st and 2nd Victorian Mounted Rifles, South Australians, Tasmanians, Lumsden’s Horse, Loch’s Horse, and the 4th Mounted Infantry Regulars, were among the first to cross the Vaal, and had very stiff fighting before the infantry got up, particularly at the mines in the neighbourhood of Vereeniging, about Elandsfontein, and outside Pretoria. Their work was highly praised by the Generals and by the correspondents. A good account of the work of Colonel Ross’s corps is to be found in the ‘Oxfordshire Light Infantry in South Africa’, Eyre & Spottiswoode, 1901.
After the occupation of Pretoria Loch’s Horse were chiefly employed about Springs and Irene, and in the neighbourhood of the Vaal; later they were moved a little farther south, and the remainder of their campaigning was chiefly done between Kroonstad and the Vaal, but in December 1900 they joined the column of Colonel De Lisle, and with him went to the extreme south-west of Cape Colony. De Lisle’s column gained much credit for their work in the Piquetberg-Calvinia district in January and February 1901, when Hertzog was driven out of the district.
Loch’s Horse were disbanded in England in Apr 1901, but Lord Loch’s son, Edward stayed on in South Africa.
Loch returned to regimental duty in the Grenadier Guards on 23 January 1902, and took part in a special diplomatic mission to promote British interests in Morocco in early 1902. He was appointed a Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) on 30 May 1902, following the presentation by King Edward VII of State colours to the King′s Company of the Grenadier Guards. The following year, he was appointed regimental adjutant on 26 January 1903, and held the post until 1 July 1905.
Lord Loch died in a London hospital on 14 August 1942.
The grave of Edward Loch, 2nd Baron Loch, is in the churchyard of St John the Baptist, Stoke-by-Clare.